(Ps. A big thank you to Jordan Ferney, for inspiring my costume this year!)
After my last venture into the realm of DIY artwork, I became infected with an insatiable hunger for creating more. It was a lot of fun…and, (good news/bad news) I have a LOT of empty wall space. And, after visually ingesting so much of Rifle Paper over the internet, I was left with a particular thirst for implementing Rifle-style.
1. I selected my “weapons” of mass creation. Lately, my preference has been gouache, such as the assortment of Turner Acryl Gouache paints that are pictured above.
2. I printed out the design I’d selected, traced it, and transferred it to Arches watercolor paper. After selecting this simple color scheme of black and gold, I got to work!
3. Mission completed. Now I can sit back, and enjoy the frills of filling another empty space with beautiful art!
What are some of your thoughts, on how this turned out?
You dream of owning a home. You go through all kinds of craziness to buy said home. Finally, you find yourself as a proud homeowner, with a pair of keys that are exclusively yours! What do you do next? If you’re anything like me, you immediately jump headfirst into plans for decorating.
I started scouring the internet for inspiration on how to make our new nest reflect our taste. And, boy did I find my inspiration! Unfortunately, our budget couldn’t match my expensive taste in furniture and artwork. (Particularly, for those first few months that followed after paying a hefty down-payment.) For one example, this gorgeous piece of artwork at DwellStudio really caught my eye – but, I couldn’t (and still can’t) meet its $1,625 asking price.
If I couldn’t afford my crush-worthy items, I realized that I could try to recreate them… So – that’s what I set out to do. I recreated the Paule Marrot Pink Maze piece from DwellStudio.
These were my materials at-hand, for the reproduction:
- A printer
- Tracing paper & pencil
- Watercolor Paints
- Watercolor Paper (I prefer Arches Water Color Blocks, for projects that involve watercolor paint or gouache. Its quality is excellent!)
Above: My first attempt at recreating the Paule Marrot piece. About a quarter of the way through, I grew really unhappy with the color and started again from scratch. (I wasn’t impressed with the way the red took on a “tomato” sort of hue. I felt like I was painting with a can of V8!)
Above: The second attempt at recreating the same piece, using a bright pink pigment. This time, I was pleased with the results!
Now, if only I could decide where to hang it…